Search This Blog

Monday, November 16, 2020

Charcoal Test Wrap Up (Part 6)

  As you scan through the blog, you notice 4 different charcoal tests, I originally set out to do do 3, but a friend kindly donated a bag of Kingsford Blue Bag, ie "Original".  So, I tested 3 different types of briquets and what I consider to be the markets best lump, each was measured by volume, because volume is how you grill. Very few people have a scales by their grill where they measure out 5 lbs and cook. Almost everyone fills their tray to a point, or their chimney etc. So I measured it out with a chimney. Measuring by volume gave Rockwood a chance to justify it's cost, it failed, more on this below. When I weighed the charcoal with the same bucket, the Kroger weighed 13lbs, Kingsford 11 lbs, Royal 10 lbs, and Rockwood 6 lbs.

  Of the three briquets, the Royal Oak Natural is my favorite as of this writing, it has the fewest ingredients, and it's test was done under the harshest conditions. The other 2 briquets performed as well, and burned longer, but in warmer conditions. The other briquets have many different ingredients that are proprietary and secret. Kingsford claims to be all natural and burned nearly as hot as Royal, so it would get the nod over Kroger for me. 

  Lastly, we come to the Rockwood, I wanted it to be the best. I love how fast it came to temperature (and it's test conditions were as harsh as Royal). and how little ash it left behind, I like how the smoke was clean through the entire 200-200 burn. However, it costs 44% more than the Royal by volume and burned for less time at lower temperature than any of the briquets. Of course it would probably win the burn contests time and temperature both if the tests were done by weight, but it costs over twice as much by weight as the Royal. I think for me, the answer is Royal with wood chunks for flavor, then failing to find that, either Kingsford blue bag or another brand with the same ingredients as Royal. 

 Edited on 10/25/21 I tested the 2 extruded hardwood brands: Charblox and Prime 6. I found that they were over priced. You are paying for the density of the charcoal. If you have a grill with limited space, and want to pack more weight in per cook, this is beneficial, but for the rest of us, I would not buy it until the price per lb. drops in line. I am using Fogo lump right now, it burns like Rockwood. Scientifically speaking, lump burns better per lb than any briquet and leaves less ash. Downsides are cost and lack of density. Lack of density is not a problem if your grill has the room. Burn lump if you can find a good one at the right price for your budget with no junk in it and if it's been thoroughly carbonized. If your concerned about cost, a natural briquet seems to be the best value play. 

 If you clicked on this from the science tab and want to learn more about how I reached these conclusions, in detail, click on 2020 and November in the archives section. There you will see all the other parts to this test. 

No comments:

Post a Comment