Search This Blog

Thursday, October 21, 2021

The Ministry of the Blacksmiths (Part 1)

 It was at Men's Encounter in Missouri where I first learned to appreciate the ministry of the blacksmiths. For more information about Men's Encounter, go here: https://encounterministry.org/mens-encounter. 


 There was an exercise that we were asked to participate in, we had a checklist, and we checked off all the sins we could remember, past and present. Then we took the list and nailed them to one of 3 crosses at the front of the room. It was meaningful, we realized, this was what Christ had done. He had taken our sins on himself, and allowed himself to be nailed to the cross, now it was up to us. Would we repent from the sin, which means to turn from, and receive Christ? Later that weekend, we each got one of the nails that we used, and I looked at my nail. I saw that it was actually fashioned in the same way as a roman spike, the same type that Christ would have been crucified with, but much smaller. Small enough to fit in your pocket. Looking closely at the spike, it was clearly hand made, in fact all of them were. They had little blemishes, and hammer marks on their sides, mine was slightly crooked, but all this just added to it's charm, and made it unique. Anyway, whoever had made these nails, now needed to go hammer out a bunch more, because 950 of them were being taken home, by the 950 men.
 

 So, how did the nails get there? Well, a man whose name you don't know, and who doesn't really want me to make it about him had the Lord lay it on his heart, he did some blacksmithing with his son, and he cared about the Lord, so he strived to listen to him. He made some full sized nails, and then realized that making these small ones would be awesome as a ministry for Encounter. One day the Lord prompted him to talk to another man who he had never met about the idea. This man turned out to be a full-time blacksmith. They became friends and now, groups of friends gather and make nails for Encounter. For every Men's Encounter, and every Ladies' Ashes to Beauty, nails are made, by hand for everyone. Each nail is unique, and because it was nailed to a cross, each nail bears the hammer mark on it's back, for that's where it was beaten to hold your "sins" to the tree. 

 Many good things happened at this event, people were born again, but for me personally, the most meaningful thing was the nail. That crude little spike made the cross seem more real in my emotions, not just my mind. So, the nameless/faceless blacksmith who made my nail, made more of an impression on me, and ministered to me more than the named and known speakers. So, I know my blacksmith has a name and a face, I just don't know if I met him, I don't know who made my nail. However, if you look back at what I wrote about the chip, and about the seesaw, this is a real example of what can happen when you grab a hold of your calling, what it truly is about. Your calling is for the Lord, and it's not about what place, or position you hold, it is about who you are for the Lord in the place that you happen to be in. To my blacksmith brothers in Christ, if you are one of the ones making these nails, and you read this, thank you for the nail! That really ministered to me. To you, don't try to go be a blacksmith now unless that is your calling, that is NOT the point, the point is to be the person for the Lord He created you to be, you may very well be in the right place or position for this season of your life already. I wish so much that I could convey the depth of this truth to you, the difference between identity and position in regards to your calling. If it helps, reach out to talk in person in order to get more specific about your specific situation if you care to. I haven't attained, and I do still struggle with things, but I have experienced something in this whole "being for the Lord" posture, and it is wonderful. 

 In future parts we will look at other aspects of blacksmiths, and crucifixion spikes. For now, blessings.

P.S. The nails in the picture are not like the ones given at encounter, the nails they give are clean, fresh, (not rusty) and small enough to fit in your pocket. 

2 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thank you, and your welcome. I hope you will read part 2, it should be available soon. http://lonny90.blogspot.com/2021/10/the-ministry-of-blacksmiths-part-2.html

      Delete