Search This Blog

Monday, November 22, 2021

Hierarchy vs Servanthood



 "I have the authority, and I have the power. I can control this man, if I want to. This man plans to sell me over to my enemies for 30 coins. My loyal followers have no idea what is about to go down, and they don't have the guts to do much about it anyway. Tonight, I am planning to show them communion. I will show them to eat and drink in memory of me. This hypocrite will be there. He will eat and drink with me too, that is unless I have an angel strike him down first. Should I do it? That is the question. It would be right, fair, and just. This man really has no idea who he is messing with. He really has no clue how much authority I have. I guess, killing him would be drastic, but, with my authority and power, I could at least freeze him into a salt block until the crisis is past and then restore him to health again. After the miracles he watched me do, he should have some clue, but... anyway, we have a room rented and so I will go now...." -An imagining of what the Lord might have thought right before John 13.

 So Jesus, God in flesh dined with Judas, He washed his betrayer's feet, and then dismissed him during communion, He was nothing but kindness and love to this man. Why? Well....there are many possible answers, and a lot of them are probably true. However for this instance, I want to put forth what I get out of this. Let's examine that subtle and sneaky difference between hierarchy, servanthood and authority. 

 Authority: This speaks to having an ability to control or influence through having a superior understanding, a superior power, or being placed in a position of influence. So, for example, a historian might gain authority in studying a lot. (Superior knowledge) He would then be able to have some measure of control or leverage over your understanding of history by teaching you. Yet, a certain stocky British cigar puffing man named Winston Churchill would have had more authority concerning affairs from the British effort in World War 2, because of his position of influence, and the power he had to have big things done by orders from that position. Furthermore, if you were specifically interested in the British thought and policy on a large scale throughout the war, you would want to hear from Churchill, for, he lived it. Yet, the random historian might give you a better understanding on the nuances of the Crimean war, for he studied it. One can know from study, and one can know even better from living it. This increases authority. One can have authority from a position of influence as well. Even if your friendly and benevolent government (sarcasm alert!) has very little understanding of why putting a catalytic converter on a string trimmer is a very bad idea, I tolerate it and sell it anyway for they have the authority to encourage me to do so by presenting heavy fines or prison time as the cost of having a non-catalytic string trimmer to sell to my customers. (I will now digress before I get started on a rant about emission regulations.)

 Worldlike Authority (Hierarchy): This is authority with impudence. The world loves this thing, it combines authority with the actual desire to control. So, if I were to remove the catalytic from the string trimmers I want to sell because I think it's better this way. (IT IS BETTER!!! Ok, never mind...) Then the mighty hand of gubmint unleashes powerful punishments to cause me to ponder very seriously changing my mind and keeping the catalytic installed. Another notion would be a power hungry history teacher giving you failing grades on your test because he can and doesn't like you, without submitting to truth and grading your tests based on what the truth is. Yet, another example would be the power hungry church leader, making rules that go beyond scriptural teaching, and then pulling various political levers to get someone excommunicated from the church for disobeying these rules. From the Mennonite perspective, that could be, discipline over head covering size, or excommunication over clothing patterns. It isn't exactly wrong to agree to a standard of conduct, but when we reach beyond the purview of God's laws and ways as outlined by Him in scripture, then think about the position it puts the leaders into. They are asked to be hierarchical in order to enforce it. Is that right? Well, let's look again at how Jesus related to Judas. You tell me. Is it right for your church to be a more accurate reflection of the nature of government overreach than a reflection of the nature of Jesus? This is not to say we tolerate sin. Jesus did dismiss Judas to do his deed, so we separate people given over to the world from the church, by identifying them as such. Yet, we don't hold over them extra laws to shame them into line, that is an old practice the Pharisees used. If there are extra circular laws, how can you separate someone who is a weak Christian from the church without being all Pharisaical/hierarchical about it? 

 Christlike Authority (Servanthood): This is authority with meekness. If implement in Washington DC, the government would actually be transparent with us about what is and is not true in regards to emissions, and policies would be designed that would be in the best interests of all. The free market could live, breath, move, and have it's being so to speak...ok, I'd better stop. This would mean the historian would teach history for the love of his/her students. Classes would be interesting, teacher would actually be helpful, serving the needs of students and doing everything in her power and authority from vast quantities of knowledge in her personal studies of history to help her students thrive, and learn, and succeed. Yes hopefully even beyond her. This is what Jesus modeled with His disciples, He gave Judas every chance, and He always called the disciples to be who the Lord called them to be. This would be a church leader using all the authority from his knowledge, position, and power, to call you to be who you were created to be, he would be holding down a rope for you to grab to help you climb the mountain of life. When the rope goes slack, he prays that it is because you are catching up with him, yes even to pass him in authority in some form, and not because you have let go. With the hierarchical leader, you will typically found him behind you, with a whip so to speak. 
 
 What about you? Me? Let's not beat up on churches, leaders, or government. I apologize for any vinegar that spilled over back there that was not in good humor and out of line. Regardless of any circumstance, of any unjust treatment from authorities in our lives, do we manifest the nature of a disciple of Jesus Christ or the nature of the rebellious slave? If it is the slave, pray for sanctification, don't try to fix yourself by the power of your will, ask God to do an authentic work in your soul. With those in your authority, are you manifesting Christ's servanthood or the heavy booted rule of the average Pharisee? Again, if the Pharisee, then pray for sanctification, don't try to fix yourself by the power of your will, ask God to do an authentic work in your soul.

“I tell you the truth, anyone who believes in me will do the same works I have done, and even greater works, because I am going to be with the Father." -Jesus, Yeshua, Messiah, Lord

No comments:

Post a Comment